Change isn’t easy. When a company transforms the way it does business, it’s a rollercoaster of emotions for everyone. Even when the change is needed, the transition can be difficult and frustrating if it isn’t handled properly. As a leader, not only are you preparing yourself for the transition, you have the added responsibility of effectively leading your teams through transition.
To be successful in leading through change, you must be on board with the change and own the message. After all, how can you sell and support the concept, if you don’t believe in the outcome yourself.
This can be a daunting task, so we’ve broke it down into three topics: Manage, React and Work Through.
How to Manage Change
Utilizing a change management framework can help employees transition through change effectively. It can reduce stress for you while successfully leading through change.
- Be real – acknowledge that change is difficult.
- Share the transition plans – talk with employees and have open discussions.
- Check in often.
- On a personal level, ask “How are you doing?”
- Be visible – make yourself available.
- Be positive and optimistic.
- Reinforce positive turns – watch for individual movement toward new beginnings and express your appreciation.
How to React to Change
Leading through change means you’re able to react and answer the tough questions. Communicating during change is important and should be two-way. Most likely many of the questions being asked are ones you already considered and asked yourself. Below is a list of questions you should be ready to answer:
- What is the business reason for the change?
- What are the vision and benefits for the future?
- What is the impact on employees?
- What is the impact on the organization?
- What is the approach for implementing the change?
- How are we doing –Progress, Accomplishments, Issues?
How to Work Through Change
The transformation effort is a challenge to be embraced as a team, fueling positive change over the long haul. This is important since the transformation journey is a never-ending one for most companies today. Your day-to-day enthusiasm and positive attitude will go a long way in setting the tone for these changes. Some basic foundations of change are listed below:
- Change happens, how you transition is a choice.
- Everyone has some resistance to change, particularly when it is imposed on them by others.
- Getting yourself and others to accept change is a process, not a single event.
- Every individual experiences change in a unique way and adapts at their own pace.
- Balance pride in the past with the need to be future focused.
May your company accomplish its goals and be successful in leading through change. We wish you and your business only the best in 2018. If you have any questions, please reach out to your assigned DecisionHR Human Resources Business Partner at 1-888-828-5511.